Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Brenn in France - Week 2

Week 2 - Day 3
Today, the festival of bands was in our neighborhood. The festival was attended by many people and featured performances from many bands, with many from outside of Montpellier.  When I came home for dinner, around 2100, I decided to stay in for the rest of the night.  I was rewarded with my patience when the dessert was brought out, and one of the items was a large dish of tiramisu.  Nathalie, our host mother, remembered that I had said I loved tiramisu, and so she had made some for that reason.  She is a wonderful person, and cook (the tiramisu was heavenly).  I do not think that I could have been housed with a better host family.

Week 2 - Day 4
Today my roommate and I were taken to Arles, France by Frederic, our host father.  He was visiting he parents there and asked us if we would like to see the city, of which we immediately agreed.  The city is not very large, but it houses a great deal of history, visibly stretching back to Rome. The small arena and amphitheater there were very interesting, and the many church steeples at times reminded me of Charleston.


Week 2 - Day 7
           Dr. Toubiana took the Citadel students to the Pont du Gard, an engineering marvel built by the Romans to supply the city of Nimes with a more than ample amount of water.  Unfortunately for us, the weather was not the best, but we were able to avoid any rain during the trip, as well as the sun.  The aqueduct is an amazing feat of design and beautiful in its simplicity.  The only real problem we had on this excursion was that the bus(es) apparently went on strike, and we had to take a two taxis back to the train station.







No comments:

Post a Comment