Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Political Science in Naples, Italy: The Arrival



When coming to Italy for this program, I was not too sure what I was going to get myself into. Thankfully, I did not have much time to think about it, owing to my busy summer schedule with the Army. My journey started at about 8 am Saturday morning when I left Easley, SC to drive to Atlanta, GA to catch my flight, and it didn’t end until roughly 11:30 am local time in Naples the next day. It is easy to say that I was running on fumes by the time I arrived.

That night, after finally getting settled in, a handful of the other students and I decided to hunt down a good place to eat. We were hoping to find a pizzeria to try our first slice of authentic Italian pizza, and that is just what we got. We came across a small hole in the wall shop that served Margarita pizzas for €4 and with a side of a 66cl Peroni, we could not complain! One pizza here is equivalent to a 12-inch pizza back home. After that, we walked around via Toledo to see what else we could find as well as orient ourselves to this new, bustling city. It’s safe to say by the time we went to bed that night, the majority of us had been awake for approximately 36 hours, so none of us had any trouble falling asleep.


Robert Machamer

No comments:

Post a Comment